Sunday, August 9, 2009

We Can Build This Thing Together!

Best movie ever.

These are heady words, and words which should not be used lightly. Best movie ever is a subjective phrase. My taste in cinema is mine, and most likely you and I wouldn't agree on everything.

But I feel we can agree on most things. I think we can agree that Casablanca is a wonderful film. I feel we can all appreciate the ground-breaking imagery in Jurassic Park. I'm sure you and I think that Gene Kelly is an incomparable dancer, and that Spencer Tracy is one of the best actors of his, or any, generation.

Finally, I think we can agree that one movie stands out as the best. The story is tight, the characters wholly believable in their actions. The best movie ever is...

Shit. Yes.

Mannequin is the story of a young artist (Andrew McCarthy) who just can't seem to get it together! When he stumbles into a job working at a large department store, he also stumbles into love, and his life turns upside down!!!!! Kim Cattrall falls in love with him as well, but guess what?? She is a 6000 year old Egyptian princess who was cursed to spend her eternal days as a plastic mannequin, who for some reason, can come back to life sometimes... Along with his flamboyantly homosexual coworker, one Hollywood Montrose (Meshach Taylor), the two lovebirds create window displays that electrify the city and turns McCarthy's poor existence around!!!

This movie has it all. The redemption of a down-on-his-luck guy. Love between two consenting adults. A neon fabric-covered African-American queen. When the "funny one" from Weekend at Bernie's develops feelings for an inanimate object, and then that object turns into the annoying old whore from Sex And The City...let's just say I still think this movie was based on true events. Hemingway couldn't write a better movie. But maybe that's because he wrote novels, and not screenplays....

So I leave you with a couple of wonderful clip from this probable-documentary and what is widely considered by critics, fans, homeless vets, oceanographers, and people who sell Mexican jewelry on eBay, the best movie.

Ever.



6 comments:

  1. Mannequin, Russell? Really? MANNEQUIN?

    Not Kill Bill, not Shawn of the Dead, not even A Bug's Life but MANNEQUIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, you plebeian...if you can't understand and appreciate the subtle nuances of Mannequin, then I'll never be able to explain it to you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really dont see how you could not have at least MENTIONED Mannequin 2: on the move. it is everything the original was, and more...it is the "teen wolf 2" of it's generation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick, I couldn't agree more! I'm just waiting on the remake with Cameron Diaz and, well, Andrew McCarthy isn't really doing anything these days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuck Klosterman wrote in one of his books that he's never seen Mannequin, so when he came and did a reading at the NYC Barnes & Noble where I used to work, I bought a copy of it for him, because it's sort of the best ever. I put a note in it with my e-mail address and told him to open it during his private sexy time later.

    He never wrote to me to say thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plump, that is so terrifying! you might as well have given him a dvd of you sacrificing a rabbit on a stone altar surrounded by his books...

    ReplyDelete